What are the typical building codes and regulations for constructing a home in charlotte north carolina?

Customer Service 980-314-CODE (263) Send an email Do I need a building permit to add a room to my house? You can add something to your house if there's enough space in your yard and if the addition meets current North Carolina building codes. Please contact the zoning jurisdiction appropriate to your area regarding setbacks and space requirements for the addition. The links to each zoning jurisdiction within Mecklenburg County are listed above. Do I need a permit for a storage shed or accessory building? A storage shed or accessory building will need a building permit if any dimension exceeds 12 feet in any dimension.

If the building is less than 12 feet tall, you won't need a building permit, but you will need a zoning permit. What is the depth of support requirement? A base in Mecklenburg County must be at least 12 inches below ground level, that is, the bottom of the concrete must be 12 inches below the surface. This must be inspected before placing any concrete. If the soil is soft or not compacted enough, the usual solution is to dig deeper until you find good, hard soil and support a load of 2000 pounds per square foot.

Can I build my own house? The state of North Carolina allows you to build your own home as long as you personally reside in it and that it is not for rent or intended for sale within one year after all construction is completed. You'll have to be linked to Mecklenburg County. As an option, you can choose to be the general contractor and hire all subcontractors to work for you. You can obtain the building permit and include each licensed contractor in your permit.

They would request their own inspections, but you would act as the general contractor for the project and be responsible for all the work. Can I convert my terrace into a glazed terrace? Yes, you can, but you'll need a full masonry base built underneath with a continuous concrete base. Most of the decks are constructed with wooden posts on individual shoes. When a terrace is converted into a glazed terrace, the windows and roof create additional wind loads in the room, which must be supported by a full base.

The only alternative to this would be for a licensed North Carolina engineer to design a pole or dock base that would withstand the additional load. This requires a building permit and an electrical permit, and the floor, walls and roof must be insulated. If the exterior door that leads to this glazed terrace is removed, a licensed mechanical contractor will have to provide heat to the glazed terrace. Do my plans have to be sealed by an architect or engineer? In general, residential plans do not require a seal from an architect or engineer.

However, when plans contain structural elements that exceed the limits of the North Carolina Residential Code or that do not conform to this code, these elements shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practices. This part of the plan must be sealed by an architect or engineer. In other words, if it's not described in the code book, you'll need a stamp. Examples of this would be truss ceiling or floor systems, engineered wood beams such as LVL or steel beams, unusual foundations or retaining walls, unusual construction methods, such as log houses or wood-framed structures.

Can I be my own electrical contractor? (See important information for homeowners who want to do their own electrical work). Or an exhaust fan vented directly to the outside with a minimum exhaust velocity of 50 cfm. What type of base do I need for my platform? Check out our full deck brochure with guidelines and diagrams. What type of inspections are required? What does it take to turn my house into a small nursery? See our brochure on home day care for requirements and procedures.

View a free copy of North Carolina's building codes through the ICC. Getting the plan approved by City Land Development is really just the initial step in the overall process of developing a commercial site in Mecklenburg County and the city of Charlotte. Commercial construction projects must have construction permits for on-site vertical construction. Appropriate permits are required for any new construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, transfer to another site, removal or demolition of any building.

Permits are required for the installation, extension, alteration, or general repair of electrical, mechanical, or plumbing systems. Separate permits are required for construction, electrical, heating, air conditioning and plumbing work. The Residential Technical Assistance Center (RTAC) provides technical assistance regarding the North Carolina Building Code. It would require a building permit plus electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits, if there are pipes involved.


Deb Favolise
Deb Favolise

Hardcore tv advocate. Award-winning music maven. Devoted twitteraholic. Wannabe twitter lover. Professional travel practitioner. Passionate twitter lover.